Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 2

Saturday was carefully planned to avoid media again. I’m noticing the effort that has to go into each day to actually stay away from it. My girlfriend was off for the weekend and is being considerate by trying to avoid TV together with me. We decided to get out of the house, as neither of us wanted to clean, so we went to do some Christmas browsing. We got breakfast together and talked about what we would do all day without watching TV or going to the movies. A few moments later we found ourselves in the car humming along to a song and I quickly turned it off. It’s pretty instinctive to turn on the radio in the silence. (I still have the same loop of songs in my head, by the way.) We went to the dollar store and bought some jigsaw puzzles to help pass the time. We had to make it to 7pm because of the all-important UT/Big12 football game that was going to be on. So we spent the next several hours in our cozy apartment just with each other and the challenge of a dollar-store puzzle. And as luck would have it, it was missing a piece—the worst!
The plan was to go out and be social and watch it at a Double Dave’s pizza place, where there was sure to be a crowd watching the screens. This is one form of media that I can’t imagine the world without. First of all the game was four hours away in Dallas; second, the seats are limited; and third, it costs a good chunk of money! Imagining the world without the TV networks broadcasting sports is crazy. I watch my Longhorns and my Spurs usually from the comfort of my own home and with a DVR handy in case I miss an important play. I’m totally spoiled. So back to the plan: the Double Dave’s store was freezing and the place was clearing out around halftime, so we gave up too. We headed back home and gave into our laziness and watched the rest of the game at home. The game turned out to be a real nail-biter and, while I’m disappointed in myself for giving in, I’m also more thankful for the media and conveniences we have at our disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment