Saturday, December 5, 2009

It feels like a "Diet Crash!"

Posting yesterdays blog did not help with my itch to get on Facebook or write e-mails to my friends overseas. Its weird that I actually use the Internet to talk about books I read and to keep in contact with relatives in different states. I guess the Internet makes it very convenient. To make matters worse I received a notice that a friend from 15 years ago has just found me on Facebook and sent an invitation to be my friend. I can not log in to chat and I got really bummed about it. After submitting my post I remember sulking at the computer screen for a good ten minutes wishing I could surf the web. I found myself grumbling out loud about how I felt like I was grounded as an adult. After all, this is exactly what I do to my children when their grades slip or chores don't get done. I take away every source of media entertainment. My emotions toiled with the thought that maybe my punishment is too strict. "Great, Mr.Lopez has me over guessing my parenting!" I mumbled as I walked to my bedroom and flung myself like a child on the bed. I literally stared at the ceiling in a state of sulking until my eleven year old came in to hug me and lend some empathy to my pain. Although, I saw a smirk across his face as he left my room to finish watch his favorite Disney show. Bet he was thinking about the irony of this project. Half an hour later my husband walked through the door and cracked up laughing at my pouting face as I shouted a warning of his teasing after the 72 hours. He didn't feel threatened enough to avoid putting on the retro music videos we dance and sing to on Friday nights. That was my turning point, I caved in when LL cool J's edition of "I need Love" started to play. I found myself wedged between the stair banister's singing along. My position slowly went from the stair to out in the center of the room. Throughout the rest of the night I found myself dancing with my kids and laughing at our battling techniques in the living room. 11:30 came fast and I realized I over indulged. It felt like eating a whole chocolate cake when you have been eating veggies all morning. I couldn't take it back. The only remedy to fix it is to try to start over again the next day! I remember thinking about how I was going to explain my crash on the blog in the morning as I fell asleep. My last thought were about how it felt like a "Diet Crash" but in the form of media entertainment.
Its now Saturday, my children and spouse are home which means today's restrictions will be harder to resist. One of our weekend rituals is to put on the radio in the kitchen as we fix and eat break feast but luckily they didn't notice when the radio wasn't playing. I was starting to plan out today's activities that would allow us to stay away from different forms of media until my husband ruined it. His cell phone rang and a request to play XBox live sent things in motion. However he quickly reminded me that this was my project and not a family project. I realize he is correct. My plan is too knock out two papers due next week for classes. That should involve allot of reading and writing. when I do come out for breaks it usually means I need to play with the kids to make sure they get quality time with me as well. Cooking will take up at least 2 hours. So now I have a preplanned menu for the day sort of like you do when your trying to shed pounds. Hopefully my husband won't try to sabotage my stamina from media tonight as well! That still remains to be determined as the day progresses on.

No comments:

Post a Comment