Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 1 : The Beginning...

Already aware of the what implications were to appear for this mass media deprivation project, I decided to prepare before today had actually started. The night before Friday I stayed up until midnight feeding my insatiable hunger for online gaming. I sat glued to my chair soaking up the warm radioactive rays of my monitor screen because I knew I would have to isolate myself from these very things. As the clock struck midnight, I turned off my computer and headed to bed exhausted from the constant state of play beforehand.

I awoke midday in a common haze, taking a few minutes to orientate myself to the environment. Without the pull of my video game addiction, (because I knew I had to resist it) I took a longer amount of time completing mundane tasks. I stood in the shower longer than usual appreciating the heat on that cold afternoon. The timing for this project couldn't have been more impeccable because my wife and I were off to the In-Laws for rehearsal of this Christmas Play we are participating in. I had also brought my school supplies knowing that a couple psychology papers could be accomplished in this spare time as well. After prancing around for this upcoming ballet theatrical show, I decided to set up my studies at the kitchen table. A couple Filipino elders from our non-denominational church were there talking to me about different aspects of our faith. After much deliberation about the wonderful subject, I was finally able to start some of my psychology homework. I managed to complete three solid pages of work without the distraction of my mass media devices. I didn't really see how misplaced I was when technology is always looming in the corners of my psyche. I found a piece of mind tonight. I discovered that there is way to be functional and happy at the same time. No longer clouded with the delusions of joy that my devices portray, I am breaking out of this shell and seeing a whole new world emerge. Again, sleep takes hold of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment