Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 3

Finally it was the last day of the media deprivation. I felt so out of touch with what the Internet community must be saying. What was I missing in the Twittersphere? What did all my Facebook friends have to say about Saturday night’s UT football game? It came down to the last second! Did people storm the streets and act all crazy? I wanted so bad to get on my phone or computer and read about it all. I had to tell my girlfriend to stay off the computer because I’d be tempted to look over her shoulder. Let’s get out of the house again! We decided she needed to go to her parents anyway and this would be an excellent opportunity. It’s a long drive to Bastrop in complete silence—especially because those few songs were STILL in my head. I kept humming or whistling the 2 or 3 verses that popped in my head.
At her parents’ house, her brother was home and I really wanted to play a few games with him on the PS3 or Wii, but alas, I am deprived. I tried to get them to play a board game, but no one was up for it. We went to visit her sister who works at a Starbucks, where I decided to write my blog entry and use the Wi-fi there to upload it. Just loading the blog page I was SO tempted to just type a few other internet sites in the address bar, but I restrained myself. We had bought a newspaper for the long drive, but it just didn’t have the same effect. I read a couple of pages, but I still felt out of touch. The long drive back was filled with more silence and more humming and whistling, but this time the Christmas tunes that I tried to ignore from the Starbucks! I spent the rest of the night doing the jigsaw puzzle from the day before, but felt like I was just wasting time, counting the hours until I could check my Twitter and tech news sites again.
In closing, I just want to say: OK I get it! We use media in everything we do. It makes our lives simpler and more efficient, but it also makes us lazy and impatient. We want what we want when we want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment