Friday, December 4, 2009

Today's "Reality Awakening" for me!

Last night I went to bed in a peaceful state of mind that today's restrictions would be an easy task. I really thought that I was pretty much alright without using different media technology because most of the time I am very busy running around between school, volunteering and parent duties. However, I forgot that Fridays are normally my one day to relax at home while everyone is gone to school and work. Therefore, it hit me really fast and unexpectedly at 8am when I couldn't turn to my usual routine for relaxation.
After making a healthy cup of cafe latte I would usually lounge on my coach to catch up on the Travel channel shows I might have missed during the week, not an option today! My other creative outlook is to catch up on my scrap booking fetish online but I realized I was restricted once again. After sitting in complete silence for about an hour slowly sipping on my latte, I decided I would just have to read my book for entertainment. I like to read but I despise it being my only option of entertainment on my reserved day of fun. In exactly one hour I finished the rest of my novel. I stared at my dogs silently as if they could provide some sort of conversation to amuse me. then I start to wonder if anybody else in the class is hearing their inner voices and starting to guess if their sanity was masked by the entertainment we get from the media choices available. I even start to pick arguments with our instructor in my head. Arguments that would justify my reasons for giving in to the restraints of this project but in the end he wins. I blame my integrity on all that darn military training! So, I remain in silence at home in the company of my three dogs until noon. I have an appointment to volunteer at 12:00 at the elementary school.
The obligation to help at my children's book fair provides a much needed break in what now feels like a prison made of media restraints.
As I drive less than 3 miles to the school, I suddenly realize my car radio has been on. I feel guilty and surprised at the same time. Surprised that I didn't even realize it was on because it such a normal everyday occurrence. Its almost like shifting gears or turning on day lights while driving, like an automatic action. I pulled into the parking garage and push the console button off so it wouldn't be on when I drive home. Volunteering provides a nice break but didn't last enough to really break the feeling of being deprived. I find myself dodging the television screen as the librarian listens to the forecast for snow. Then I think that maybe I'm being to hard on myself the first day. I get my first call on my cell around 1pm from my husband and I complain about my restrictions and how even talking to him is probably categorized as cheating in the rules. He thinks its hilarious and makes jokes about Christmas songs and the latest videos just to aggravate my nerves so more. The call ends after 5 minutes and I find myself arguing with Mr.Lopez again in my head!
I'm starting to think this project was started on a Friday because it would impose the greatest test of depriving yourself over the weekend. The fact is most of us rely on the entertainment side of media more on our days off for fun than the necessity imposed by work or school.
Overall, I think I hit my own revelation today..."Hi, my name is Gia and I AM a media junkie!" I can at least find the humor in this project for a entrainment.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously laughed out loud at the last part of your post.
    Maybe they should make something like AA for media junkies.
    :D

    ReplyDelete