Friday, December 4, 2009

Media Deprivation Day 1

It's day one of the media deprivation experience, but still early so I seem to be surviving. I will go into work at 2 o’clock today intill 10:30 tonight. So I’m almost certain today I’ll be able to make it through pretty easily. So far I’ve started to notice how habitual casual media is to me. I woke up this morning texting and got into the car, almost systematically, turning the radio on. It wasn’t till half way to my destination I realized I already failed not even 24 hours into the experience. I am also starting to realize how much silence bothers me. I listen to the radio while I get ready for my day in the mornings and every second in the car. Even having my boxer puppy in the car with me today, and going a whole ten minutes down the road to my sister’s house, and no radio, the silence almost felt awkward with my puppy! It was very strange. I was too cold and bitter in the car to start singing to myself, in order to fill the silence, until my cell phone bursted our “ Can you meet me half way? right at the borderline is where I’m gonna’ wait…for youuuu! I’ll be looking out night and dayyyy, my heart to the limit and this is where I stayyyy!” It was Fergie and the Black-eyed Peas, my favorite song and heaven to my ears. The burst of sweet music sent me into karaoke with my cell phone! Because of that I was able to resist answering the phone call. I’ve been able to resist the TV as well and I’m quite proud of myself. However it does help not having cable. I resisted from watching any DVDs today too because thankfully last night I purchased the book Twilight Eclipse and have not been able to put it down! I know I should be doing something more productive like studying for finals but I can’t stop reading it. I think this book is really going to help me succeed in the media deprivation experience, as long as I don’t finish it today. It definitely helps being a die hard Twilight fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment